Communicating with Impact
This foundational course provides individuals with a powerful set of interaction skills that enables them to communicate more effectively with colleagues and customers and, in the process, build trust, strengthen partnerships, and achieve desired results.
Do You Face Any of These Issues?
- Do individual contributors struggle to communicate with colleagues and customers in an effective way?
- Is there a need for a higher level of trust? Greater cooperation? Stronger business relationships?
- Is effective feedback lacking as an integral part of your culture?Performance Objectives
- Recognize the impact they can have on their success and the success of others by enhancing interpersonal relationships in the workplace.
- Relate to colleagues and customers in a way that meets their personal needs while also meeting the practical need of accomplishing objectives.
- Use a set of interaction process skills that enable them to conduct more successful discussions that achieve results.
- Use a technique for providing specific, meaningful feedback that helps people improve their performance and increase productivity.
Primary Competencies Developed
- Building Customer Loyalty 2.0 and 3.0
- Communication 2.0 and 3.0
- Influencing 3.0 (Gaining Commitment 2.0)
Secondary Competency Developed
- Building Strategic Work Relationships 2.0 (Building Partnerships 3.0)
- Every Interaction Matters: In a video scenario, learners are introduced to team members who aren’t having the impact they desire in their jobs or with their external customer. Learners discuss the importance of communicating effectively to enhance their impact in the workplace. They explore the personal and practical needs people bring to interactions and are introduced to the skills that will help them meet these needs.
- Key Principles: Learners review five Key Principles that will help them meet others’ personal needs. In a video-based activity, learners work in teams to determine how the Key Principles can help the video characters have more impact. Learners complete a self-evaluation to assess their tendencies for using Key Principles and identify development areas. Learners begin a Plan for Impact for utilizing the interaction skills in a specific workplace situation.
- Interaction Guidelines and Process Skills: Learners review the Interaction Guidelines and process skills, which help meet the practical needs of an interaction. Returning to the video scenario, learners coach a character in preparing a Discussion Planner to use with an external customer. They then watch a positive model video of the character conducting an effective discussion. Learners determine how they might utilize these skills on their plan.
- Effective Feedback Using STAR: Learners are introduced to the STAR technique for providing feedback that is specific, timely, and balanced. Various activities give learners practice with the STAR format. They consider the use of this technique in their plan.
- Plan for Impact: Learners begin to complete a Discussion Planner for an upcoming workplace interaction. In pairs, they share their Plan for Impact and exchange STAR feedback.
Video Segment Summaries
- Team members share the trials of communicating effectively with one another as well as of meeting the needs of an external customer.
- Three different scenes show the team members using Key Principles in their interactions, enhancing their impact on shared goals.
- In a positive model, a member of the team uses the interaction process skills to conduct an effective discussion with an external customer.
Target Audience: All employees through frontline leaders.